Tuesday, June 11, 2019

House Beautiful

Since we made an offer on the house in October, I’ve been inhaling fixer-upper shows on the “telly” as if they were joints (are they still called that?) I actually think I got high a couple of times dreaming about all the open space and the decorating options. I was giddy for sure.


Now that we’re here, let the work begin! I knew there were a few things that needed tidying up and fixing, but like every house I’ve ever bought or rented, this one was full of surprises. Apparently, the lady who lived here was a chain smoker for years. I didn’t remember the smell, but it punched us in the face when we walked in the door.


Every room has to be cleaned and painted, including ceilings. And she took the light fixtures. Who takes light fixtures???


Fun yet?
I was struck by the unusual color of the kitchen cabinets. A kind of creamy light mustard, they made an attractive first impression. On closer examination we have come to realize that they were originally white. Cigarette smoke has stained them to this beautiful golden patina. I’m keeping them just as they are. At least they don’t stink.


There is very worn, dirty carpet throughout the upstairs. We pulled it back to reveal pine tongue and groove floor boards in pretty good condition. Unfortunately they were intended to be sub flooring so the tongues were not tucked into grooves very well. The look is rustic and primitive. I’ve been cleaning them with mineral spirits and doing a little repair work before they’re varnished. Anyone have wood glue?


The floor in the upstairs bath was covered with grimy linoleum. The pine boards underneath are REALLY primitive. But I’m refinishing them as best I can, and we plan to cover most of the floor with bath mats.


All the windows have to be resealed, the downstairs floors need to be replaced, a door (right in the middle of the only long living room wall) has to go (Of course it doesn’t HAVE to go, but I want it to go) and I WANT the fireplace opened up.


Dixie took out some horrible built-ins
Sometimes I just stop and think about what’s going on with me… moving into a new house in Ireland the same year I’ve applied for Medicare. Many of my post-menopausal girlfriends are still sailing smoothly on the same boat they boarded decades ago. Their masts are still strong, and they have a jolly crew of grandchildren who delight them to no end.
I have roses!


Others have chosen roads less traveled and maybe a bit bumpier. Some are getting advanced degrees, traveling the world, still deciding what to be when they grow up. Some are postponing retirement because their work is so important and fulfilling, and they just aren’t ready to let go. And some are feeling triumphant that they have finally realized after all these years that just “being” is enough. I’m so proud of us all. Look at us!


I’ll be a granny in October. I can’t wait! I’ll be traveling way more than I ever imagined, back and forth to keep two dreams alive and well. I know I can do it because my sailing ship, once drifting and taking on water, has been repaired and reconstructed, just like my pine floors. It’s been gleaming now for a couple of years and is voyage ready. All aboard!




No comments:

Post a Comment