Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Catching Up

When I was young I aspired to be a private person. In my mind, private people were beautiful and classy, like Jackie O and certain, but not all, vampires. They were trend setters without saying a word, effortlessly charismatic, disclosing just enough about themselves to make you curious. It felt like power.

But alas, here I am after all these years, still a giggly open book for anyone to page through and stain with coffee, dog ear or highlight, accept or reject or maybe just slam shut and dismiss. But I’ve discovered on my journey that those mysterious auras I’ve often admired are often just flimsy veils concealing either insecurity or depression or things worse. I feel pretty good about my place on the dusty library shelf.

So… we un-private people do like to blog, don’t we? I haven’t posted in over a year and I really miss sharing my experiences and impressions and feelings (and I'm developing some strong opinions as well!) I’m actually living in Ireland now full time. I have a visa that’s renewable, a car with an automatic transmission (which is rare here), and a plethora of Irish sayings and expressions that I daily integrate into casual conversation. That makes me Irish, right? Jaysus, ye can be shuruvit! 

I was watching a house hunting show the other day on the “telly” featuring a retired couple from England who were looking to start a new life in the south of France. I actually heard myself say out loud, “I can’t believe people just pick up and move to another country when they’re old.” I immediately realized the irony. What can I say?

I want to start posting again because I have so much to tell you. The visa process was extensive, and buying a house was a real adventure (My offer was accepted in October and we still haven't closed). I’m acquainted with the emergency room in Dublin and just the other day when I thought I was wading through some marsh grass, I fell in the River Suir (Yes I did and it was very cold)! 

I am privileged to be part of Dixie’s large extended family, and when his beloved brother, Chanel, passed away last week, I experienced my first full blown Irish Catholic funeral. I’ll walk you through that next week, if you’re up to it. I'll aim for Tuesdays. Ah, shuretwillbee grand! 






12 comments:

  1. Welcome back, favorite blogger! You've been missed! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristen. I'm excited about writing again.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you're back! Looking forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're back, I have always enjoyed your blogs, music and conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dennis. Hope we can connect again sometime. Miss all the San Ann crew.

      Delete
  4. You are my only blogger. I win. Love at you and Dixie. Told you he was smart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel honored. Hope I can make it worth your while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are sharing your grand new life adventure with us back here in Florida. I always love to read your stories and see your photos of your adopted new country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill. I think of you often. I hope you're still writing, as well as painting. You are so inspirational! When's the next book debut?

      Delete
  7. There is something simple yet complex, sweet yet gutsy, opinionated yet open minded about your writing style. I loved the way you used words to speak from your heart. I have missed sharing your life and I miss hearing you play sing. I am tuned in and hope that you are still doing both across the pond. Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rochelle, for those encouraging words. I'm sorry we have gotten so out of touch. I feel so blessed with time for doing the things that I love most.

      Delete