Thursday, August 31, 2017

The Final Post

We all have dreams, right? Often they don’t even assert themselves as dreams. They lurk somewhere deep in our souls as peculiar longings that almost have their own sentience, think their own thoughts, come and go at will. 

In that secret place where they reside, they sometimes prick us when they move about, a stabbing pain that reminds us that we are not yet all that we were meant to be. Other times, they shape themselves into a vessel that fills itself with anticipation and the most unexpected surprises. 

When one dream dies, we mourn. Sometimes we dig the grave too deep and all our other dreams topple in and are covered over forever. But for some of us, when one dream drifts into sleep, another awakes, spreads its wings and shouts out, “Let’s go!” And you’d better follow no matter how crazy it seems.

Earlier this week as I walked to my golf lesson, the sun shone and it was warm for a change. On the way home by the River Suir I saw an old fisherman down a bank and I called to him, mainly to see if he was okay. He turned and smiled and gave me a trout. I took it straight to the fish market where they cleaned it at no charge. Then I came home and had a delicious supper.

The music sessions this week have been the best of the season. I’ve managed to squeeze a few more incredible memories into the fiddle case before finally snapping it shut. The jigs and reels and sweet love ballads I’ve inhaled so deeply are now flowing through my bloodstream and will nourish and sustain me for the few months I have to be away. 

At this moment I feel, as the old gospel song says, Peace Like a River… like the River Suir, my faithful summer companion. So grateful for each of you, on both sides of the sea, for the ways you encourage me, comfort me, try to understand me and affirm the person I aspire to be. I am blessed with two homes, both unique in their own ways, both good beyond what I could “ask or imagine”, to quote the apostle Paul.

My summer journey is drawing to a close. Thank you for coming along and I do hope we can travel together again soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment